Wednesday 25 March 2020

Don't Call It A Comeback

Except actually don't. I had a very long day at work today, finishing around 8pm :) :) :) :) So now I'm doing this in OG Adrienne Style, by which I mean at 10:30 when I should be reading or sleeping and instead I'm sitting down to start thinking about writing something now.

Today was a hard day. Our home internet wasn't working, and because I live in a Maltese house of character, it basically means that the bottom floor is under 1,000,000,000,000,000 kgs of stone and we don't get phone reception there, which meant I spent the day hotspotting from my phone but the only place my phone gets reception is in my room. So basically I spent the day working from my bed which may, in theory, sound delightful and like I am Living The Dream, in reality, it stinks. Maybe it would be good if I at least had the choice to leave but I didn't and it was Not Fun.

Isolation is a weird place. I found myself wanting to go for a run? It hasn't yet materialised into actually running yet but I've been wearing a sports bra for three days in anticipation that it might, and not wanting the excuse of needing to get changed to get in the way. I did voluntarily do some exercise: jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, squats, etc. (There is not etc. That was all there was.) And normally I'm reluctant to go to bed in the abstract, there's-other-things-I-want-to-do-with-my-time-like-watch-another-episode-of-The-Resident way. Now I'm reluctant to go to bed because I have already spent all day in it so how do you transition to night-bed from day-bed.

My muscles, especially my legs, feel cramped and achy from the doing nothing - and I'm not the most active girl on a regular day. My sprint to the bus I'm always running late for is about it. But I feel increasingly like a tightly coiled spring with too much energy and nowhere to put it. I never thought the introvert in me would struggle so much to be housebound.

So this is Isolation Diary Day Something. I'm trying not to think about the uncertain endlessness of this looming in front of me. At this rate, I'll be running marathons - in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment